Premier Jay Weatherill has many serious questions to answer surrounding his Government’s handling of the latest child abuse scandal as a result of another bungle by SA Health.
Yesterday it was revealed that recorded interviews with young children suspected to be victims of sexual or physical abuse are not able to be used as evidence in criminal trials because of the Weatherill Government’s blunder.
Among the key questions Jay Weatherill must answer today are:
- Did Jay Weatherill encourage Jack Snelling to keep this matter secret until after the new Royal Adelaide Hospital was opened?
- When did Jay Weatherill learn of the latest child abuse scandal?
- When was Jay Weatherill planning on telling the public about this latest scandal?
- Why didn’t Jay Weatherill and his Ministers say anything about this scandal until it was raised by the media?
“The Weatherill Government has a long history of attempting to conceal its own appalling mistakes,” said Deputy State Liberal Leader Vickie Chapman.
Amongst the scandals the Weatherill Government tried to conceal are:
- The child sexual abuse scandal at a western suburbs school;
- The chemotherapy bungle;
- The patient record scandal;
- The SA Pathology prostate cancer scandal.
“The Weatherill Government’s reflex response to scandals is to try to conceal them,” said Ms Chapman.
“Attorney-General John Rau revealed on ABC radio this morning that he became aware of this latest scandal on August the 21st.
“Why did South Australians have to wait for a month for the Weatherill Government to admit it had once again failed vulnerable children?”